Bring your camera and make your way to the Trick Eye Museum, located in the vibrant Seoul district of Hongdae, teeming with Hongik University students and pulsing with the latest nightclubs. The museum is inspired and named after trompe-l’oeil, an art technique that uses realistic imagery to trick the eye into an optical illusion of making painted objects appear in 3D.
Inside, two-dimensional paintings on the museum walls, floors and ceilings seem to pop out and come to life, and have been specially designed for photos. Let your imagination fly as you step into the paintings and capture the most creative poses with your camera. On-site staff are available to help you achieve your trompe-l’oeil art.
Wander through various thematic halls, named Masterpiece, Fantasy, Adventure, Comic, Romantic, Bon Voyage and Illusion Painting. Snap photos that show you climbing out of a portrait, catching money flying out of a dump truck and heaving a huge piece of sushi out of a picture frame.
Get lost in the ‘Mirror Maze’; or, change up the pace and check out an educational program on Greek mythology or a current exhibit of a contemporary artist. Cool things down at the Ice Museum, housed inside the Trick Eye Museum. Walk through a kitchen and living room, watch a TV, ride in a car and pull the reins of a sleigh, all made entirely of ice.
Thirsty or need a snack? Mosey over to the main hall, decorated like Greece’s Santorini, and settle in the café for a cup of hot organic coffee and a muffin (own expense). Scroll through your photos at a table that, you guessed it, features trompe-l’oeil — a hand reaches out of the tabletop for your coffee.
- Trick Eye Museum entrance ticket including Ice
- Museum Experience the visual thrills of trompe-l’oeil art, which creates optical illusions, in themed exhibit halls
- Use your camera to create innovative photographs that make you pop out of the paintings
- Visit the Ice Museum and enjoy ice sculptures of a kitchen, car, TV, sleigh, igloos and slides
- On-site staff are available to help you capture the perfect shot
Exclusions Additional beverages (available for purchase)
General admission to the Trick Eye Museum and Ice Museum
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants under 36 months old are free of charge but must have proof of age
- Admission tickets are for single entry only
- Tour is wheelchair accessible