Always remember that visiting Laos is an opportunity to experience a world outside of your own and the best way to fully do that is to respect the culture and acclimate to the customs.
- Practice a formal greeting for Lao people such as the “Nop” and handshakes
- Dress and behave modestly , especially in religious shrines or temples
- Keep you head lower than Buddha and monks.
- Take your shoes off and leave them outside the house or on stairs when entering a Lao person;s home
- Accept any water that Lao people serve you even if you don’t want to drink.
- Touch Lao people’s heads
- Expose too much skin
- Wear shoes in temple Buildings
- Touch the Buddha
- Turn your back on the Buddha
- Use plastic bags and return rubbish to towns or villages.
- Raise your voice to Lao people, especially in public.
- Expose the feet when sitting down, rest the feet on tables or chairs and gesture with the feet.
- Step over someone and food
Get deals to your inbox!